Ledger: Error Code 5
The Most Common Fix: Close Other Ledger Application
Close all other Ethereum applications, Ledger applications, and MyEtherWallet tabs. Error code 5 means that another application is already connected to the Ledger device.
Turn On Browser Support
If you're trying to unlock your MEW using your Ledger make sure it's connected and unlock the device using your pin!
Using the buttons on the Ledger, scroll to the Ethereum App.
Go to "Settings"
If you want other ERC20 tokens to work, Enable "Contract Data"
Switch "Browser Support" to "Yes"
Other Troubleshooting Tips
- Restart your computer (Do not be lazy. Restart it FIRST).
- Use Google Chrome.
- Make sure you don't have any other apps that connect to your Ledger open (e.g. the Ledger Bitcoin Chrome app, Mist, etc.)
- Make sure you have browser support turned ON.
- Make sure you have contract data turned ON.
- That you are confirming any transactions via your Ledger.
- Try a different USB cable
You can find more information about using a Ledger Nano S with MyEtherWallet here.
On the other hand, if you're trying to get the Chrome App "Ledger Wallet Bitcoin" to work and it's not reading your Ledger, just make sure that on your Ledger Device you disable "Browser Support" in your app.